My mother wanted me to write about some of the memories that I have of my Grandma Lewis, and I thought I would just post this on my blog too.
From the time I was a little girl Grandma Lewis has shared with me her love of books. As a little girl I would go into the room where she kept the books and spend hours picking out the ones I would ask if I could take home. When we visited I would return and take home at least one book. I still look forward to getting a book each year at Christmas time. She has in turn shared this passion with my children who also look forward to getting a "Grandma Lewis book". Many a time she would take me to the BYU bookstore to get a new book for me. One of my favorite book memories was when I took a children's literature class in college. We would talk about the books I was reading and how much we both loved them.
Growing up I thought is was so neat that my grandparents lived in a "Pink Palace". Pink being my favorite color this was especially cool. I have many fond memories of parties at their home. Christmas and the 4th of July being two of my favorites. Christmas was always filled with the anticipation of "When are we going to open the presents?", and singing "The smoke goes up the chimney". It was such a treat to see what Grandma brought home from her latest travels for our gifts. I still have the dresses she brought back from Austria for me. It's been fun seeing Brooke wear them. I'll never forget going caroling with the family when I was younger. If memory serves me right we had to go sing to all of Gram & Gramps friends before we could come back to open the presents. My favorite house to visit was the Schwendemins. They always had Cracker Jacks under the tree for us. The molasses cookies Grandma made were always my favorite treat at Christmas.
The 4th of July always began with the Provo Freedom Festival Parade, followed by a great lunch back at the "Palace". The Pinata was the highlight of the day, with Jim or John in the tree making it swing. We would end the day with fireworks a plenty.
Birthday parties with Grandma were coveted. The spinner candy cake was the prize. She and Aunt Cecille would put bubble gum tacos, mini milk cartons filled with candy, gummy sandwiches, etc on top with a spinner. Wherever your spinner landed, you got that piece of cake. It was awesome. And then there was the freezer always filled with BYU Creamery ice cream. I think this must have been the beginnings of a long passionate relationship with ice cream. It's still my favorite treat.
I have learned many wonderful things from my grandma. She is an incredible woman who I have always admired. She lives her life in the service of others. She has shared with me the importance of literature, kindness, service, gratitude, love, and most importantly, our Saviour and brother Jesus Christ, and his gospel. Her testimony has strenghtened me, and her example has taught me how to be more like him and how to live how he would have me live.
Grandma, I love you so much. I wish I was closer and could be with you on this special day to honor you in person. You are a wonderful example to me and my children. Thank you for all you have taught me, and shared with me. You have enriched my life, and made me a better person.
Hilary
Sep 9, 2008
Grandma Lewis
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment